How to Draft a Great Call-To-Action for Social Media Marketing
Updated: Jun 22, 2022
What is a a call-to-action (CTA) and why is it essential in your small business digital marketing? A CTA is copy that guides your audience or potential customer to the next step. It calls them to action and leads them further down their journey to choosing your product or service.
Where do businesses use a CTA?
You have likely been using CTAs in your content and marketing already. Now that you know what they are and what they do, you'll likely be using them in most of your customer communications.
Examples of where to use CTAs:
On your social media bio, "Learn More"
On your social posts – "Click the link in our bio to read more"
On your website – "Click to Join our Mailing List"
What are some common CTA verbs?
Why is a CTA essential for digital marketing?
According to Optimizely, "Without a clear CTA, the user may not know the next steps to purchase a product or sign up for a newsletter and is likely to leave the site without accomplishing their task." The last thing you want to happen is the customer abandons your content because they don't know what to do next.
What kind of actions can CTAs encourage?
CTAs can help drive any activity that leads to conversion. The point is to keep your potential customer engaged with your content and your business.
The actions could be an:
• Email signup
• Immediate Purchase
• Appointment or Consultation Booking
What makes a good Call-to-Action?
• It's crystal clear – Do THIS to GET this
• It's directive and actionable – do this (click, book, donate, join, visit, download, call)
• It leads them closer to contacting, subscribing, or purchasing from you
• It's creative and tailored to a specific ideal customer
• It often includes a sense of urgency – "Today" or "Now"
• It provides them with a benefit – securing an appointment, downloading a helpful guide, Insider tips & tricks